7/18/07

Super Paper Mario Complaints: Part II

I've been playing Super Paper Mario (Wii) recently now that I beat Resident Evil 4 again and I've honestly not been all that impressed with certain sections. I think a part of it is the fact that I'm not typically the biggest fan of RPG games and this is an RPG game, different type, but still an RPG game. It's not that I haven't enjoyed any of the game because certain parts have been quite a bit of fun. There are some neat little puzzles using the 2D/3D flip mechanic and the different use of characters can be neat at times. There have just been some parts of the game that don't make any sense to me, and in a Nintendo game these things are just so rare to see.

The first major qualm is the interesting running mini-game that got me watching TV while I held left on the d-pad, if you don't remember it click here. The most recent thing that happened to me was when I was asked to say please to someone by typing "please" on an in-game keyboard, and not just once but it required me to type it 6 times. The worst part about it though is the fact that when you typed a wrong letter you had to start all over again. In the end I typed the word 9 times (once for using a "P" instead of a "p"). Maybe if I got to use the IR sensor it could have been at least somewhat entertaining, but no, I had to use the d-pad.

The next thing that irked me, right after asking please, was this little villager who gave me a combination for a lock. He told me to get a piece of paper and a pen to write it down but I figured he was only joking. Lo and behold, I actually had to get a piece of paper and a pen to write down the combo because it was about 25 steps long. Talk about breaking the 4th Wall and taking the gamer out of the experience. Maybe this type of thing is common in RPGs, or an attempt at humor, but I am simply not a fan.

0 comments: